Krishna's Kalyani - part 2


Where do I start and how do I start? I have never been so emotional in a concert. The alapana of Kalyani pulled a drop of tear at the tara sthyai Ni. I could describe only the Kalyani and nothing else. But, are there words? Few weeks ago, I realized (during one of those thinking sessions - don't ask me details) that Language is one of the marvels of man's creative spirits. Nay. Language is a barrier. Music conveys more emotions that no language could. To describe this Kalyani, language fails me.

Krishna-vin Kalyani oru penn endral, atthnai amsangaludan sarithiram kandiratha perazhagi-yai eruppal.

Kallum karaiyum Kalyani

Krishna KalyaNee-yil sethukiya azhagae thaNee

Kalyani-yil oru oviyam
Adhuvae Krishnavin Kaviyam

Krishna(ji) is truly a musician with immense training in researched voice modulation techniques. The way he sang the usually-impossible lower octaves and very tough higher octaves are excellent examples of vocal chord training.


The restrained playing of the mridangist took the audience to a mesmerizing trance, esp during Nilambari. The Varali piece was as if Murugan was swinging on a jula. The trio on stage performed with enormous bhava. The mridangist knew when and how to give the effects for each song.


Initially, I didn't appreciate the need for the singer to wave his hands so much. But, few songs into the concert, I cud see that the musician is a sculptor, working his way into every fine nuances of the raga so diligently that he gave the audience a glimpse of how he is doing it! Ha Ha.


I had wanted to start early from work so that I cud reach the temple on time for the concert. The previous week's experience had scared me enough. We drove for 2 hours from Manassas to Lanham !!!! So, this time, we took alternate routes to avoid the I-495 clog traffic. Through out the concert, I immensely felt fortunate to have been on time. Its been a very long time since I felt this feeling running deep down my veins. Thank God.

Comments

  1. Hey Shobana,
    Did you, by any chance, attend DAV in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am not Shobana. Never studied in Chennai. But know plenty of friends from DAV who attended my college. Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't know about the comments portion of blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Tribute to Dr.Suresh Ramaswamy