The ever swift TNS




To have a book shelf with all my favorite authors' works and a rack of CD collection was something I used to desire from my high school days. Nothing else used to motivate me as much as this desire did. Some times, I had silently yearned for them too. After many years, I was able to set these up with meticulous efforts. During my recent India trip, bought a cart load of CDs to my heart’s content.

I listened to them day after day. Initially, I felt overwhelmed by the quantity and quality. But kept going at it steadily. Before I
realized, I got a hangover. So, I stopped listening for a while. Nothing is more music than the return of a forgone silence.

After a long break, I went over the collection again today and found my all-time favorite TNS. It is a concert CD of
T.N.Seshagopalan released by Charsur. I haven’t heard a TNS concert before. My experience with his harikatha earlier in SSVT was disappointing. He became a favorite because of my repeated listening of his RasaGanam cassettes during my school years. They were always being played at home in the evenings. Childhood memories influence your thinking pattern for a long time in life. That’s how TNS got chiseled in my mind as the maestro though I haven’t had much opportunity to listen to his other albums.

It came as a thunderbolt out of a clear sky. His brisk and crisp alapanas beginning with strikingly straight sancharas were quite contrasting to how others would normally start the alapanas - with a slow pace and gather momentum. This is very unique about TNS and probably what makes TNS to me. There is no time wasted in trying to reach there. He is already there and you got to be there with him to enjoy the ragas. It takes plenty of courage, practice and confidence to pour the arrows down without trying to negotiate – strictly no diplomat!

His choice of ragas and krithis needs mention. Mohanakalyani, hindolam, sindubairavi….wah wah. Usually, listening to a concert recording does not give the lingering effect and personal touch of attending the concert. But, listening to this CD of TNS came close. His disciple or probably son has accompanied him with vocal support but his name is nowhere to be seen in the CD cover. Why is this so?

Here is the CD I am bragging about......
http://www.charsur.com/charsur/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=37_39&products_id=520

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Tribute to Dr.Suresh Ramaswamy