Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen


Book Title: Argumentative Indian - Writings On Indian History, Culture and Identity by Professor Amartya Sen

I have heard and read a lot about Prof Amartya Sen but have not read any works of him. This book was on my must-read list for some years now after I had read a review in The Hindu. The idea of a book on Indian history and social topics from an Economics Nobel Laureate intrigued me. When I found the book in our public library, I wanted to read at least few pages ,just to know the author. The book is actually a compendium of essays. For more details, please read here.

One particular essay was more fulfilling read than others. This was the essay on 'Reason'. Every essay is rich not just with historical facts but the author's views and interpretations. I was simply humbled by how much he knew and how much time and effort he must have spent on learning about our country. My generation hardly does this. I felt a compulsion to study and derive lessons from our country's sacred texts like Upanishads. I am absolutely enthralled by Amartya Sen's words - "We cannot live without history, but we should not live within it". Now, I respect history and historians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Bombay Jayashree- fundraiser concert for Vedic Temple of Virginia