Books of Malcolm Gladwell




I have read quite a few books in the last quarter of 2007 but could not manage to write about them. So, here is a quick and short overview or rather just my views.

Note: How do I choose the books that I read? I read reviews and also an excerpt of each book from popular websites like NDTV Books, NY Times and also from book sellers and library listings if time permits.

Freakonomics:

A light-hearted book from an economist and a journalist but with deep in-sights. This book was like Econ 101 for me, an electronics engineer. I started liking and appreciating economics and its effects on societal behavior (or is it the other way?). Crazily drawn discussion and analyzes from two enthusiastic guys. Informative and enlightening. Must read.


Blink-The power of thinking without thinking:

A much hyped and popular book. I read this because of the hype without reading any review or excerpt. Not a satisfying read for me. I tend to think differently when it comes to matters of Mind and how it works. So, I totally disagree with the author at many places. Don't appreciate all that Malcolm talks about here.

Further, this book sounded very much like Freakonomics but similar questions answered in this didn't convince me analytically/quantitatively/logically like Freakonomics did.

Tipping point-How little things can make a big difference:

I am able to recollect only my feelings and not exact point-wise observations now. I should have written about the content matter of the book as soon as I finished reading them. Job search has been keeping me busy (at the time I wrote this . It took me another half year to type these in the blog) and hence completion of a book itself takes months instead of weeks now. I wish I could describe the content of this one book at least elaborately.


I would rate this as one of the finest non-fiction, written lucidly by an American. Hats off to Malcolm. No wonder he deserves all the acclaim. Tipping Point was written before Blink but I happened to read Blink first. I am glad that my disappointment with Blink didn't stop me from reading Tipping Point. The underline words for the book reads "How small things make a big difference". I am a strong believer in these words, that small drops of water make a big ocean, and so picked up the book without much thought about the previous instance. The introduction, as always, bored me due its repetition or emphasis on the book's theme without disclosing the actual answers. Over a period of time, I have developed some sort of patience to read through drab and monotonous passages just to maintain continuity to those pages containing the creme of the book. Never judge a book i few pages. This is another lesson I had learnt by reading books in different topics.

Tipping Point is about what tips whatever becomes a hit. Malcolm classifies and describes people who influence events into three types: Connectors (people who are well connected and networked to others), Mavens (people who are very knowledgeable about many things like Electronic gadgets, Automobiles, Deals online) and Salesmen (people who sell ideas, trends and convince others to act on them). Simply put, this is a remarkable observation of people in daily lives. Malcolm also does not forget to describe other factors that influence fashions, trends, and notable social changes.

The book is a wonderful read, extremely well-written with good examples and conveys bold ideas. It definitely influences our view of the world.

More book views to continue in successive blogs.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Bombay Jayashree- fundraiser concert for Vedic Temple of Virginia