India Trip 2009 - Episode 3

Nieces and Nephews

I have many cousins, all of them elder to me. The last time I saw my nieces and nephews, they were toddlers and newborns. They are now fluently using Google for their school projects and leaving comments on social networking sites!!! Soon they will walk into our offices and replace us!

One of my nephew is very interested in history. He reads only history comics (about Indian history, various rulers, dynasties, wars). He accompanied me to Spencer Plaza. I was quite nervous because he was brimming with questions and I never liked nor was good with remembering names and dates. He started. I swallowed a gulp. "Do you refer to cities in US by any nick names? Is New York City referred to as anything else?" I explained to him that not all cities have nick names, some have, like Chicago is called Wind City, Boston is called College city, New York City is the Fashion Capital. States have names, for example, Connecticut is called Constitution State, Delaware is called The First State, Virginia The Old Dominion. "Do you know what Chennai is called as?". I was dumbstruck. Was expecting such a stunt from him any time. I was silent thinking. "Like Bangalore is called Garden city, what is Chennai called?". I thought its better to be honest and said I don't know. "Bangalore is Garden City, Chennai is Garbage City". I was silenced by the truth of his statement just as we jumped over a open gutter to enter the mall.

A niece of mine asked me why I chose to leave India and work in America. She is in eighth grade and already has her mind set to work for the progress of mother country. She was quite vociferous that all NRIs simply complain about the country but no one is willing to do anything to change things. May be a budding IAS officer or a teacher (effect of Abdul Kalam)! I was staring at her with proud filled all over my face. Our own kids will love us naturally. But when love and brilliance are exuberant from our nieces and nephews, its a special feeling. I hugged her close to my heart.

I had the opportunity to spend a semester with one of my niece and nephew in Bangalore six years ago. They were only teeny weeny toddlers when I left. They have grown tall now and could not recognize me nor recollect the time we spent together. I have become a total stranger to them. When I enjoyed all the beautiful paintings on the wall, I noticed some similarity in them. I looked closely. My jaw dropped when I saw my niece's signature on all of them!

Another nephew (through another cousin) was quite challenged with his mental abilities. My cousin was explaining about her daily life, what type of care they need to provide him, how he interacts or responds to anyone or anything. I was totally pained at my cousin's spate and the life long struggle ahead of her. I told her that she is managing things boldly and any one else wouldn't handle it so. I was trying to hide my shock and pain but it was beyond my control. I came back and wept. Thinking back, I am extremely happy that there are plenty of medical institutions in India now that are catering to children with special needs. Not every household is like the one portrayed in 'Taare Zameen Par'. My deep gratitude to these progresses in India and to whoever made them happen.

My mom and I were traveling by auto to visit a relative. As we crossed a Bank Of America name board, I said "Wow. Bank Of America here" since that's the first time I saw a BoA branch in Chennai. My mom asked in a calm tone "Just like how there is BoA here, is there a Bank Of India in US?" I was spellbound by the sheer brilliance of her thought. I replied "If that were the case, if one Rupee equals $40, then we would be in India and not US". Daring to have even such a dream would give us the hope and inspiration to make it happen. My mom's ideas were that highly educated Indians should gain few years of experience in US, earn few dollars and return to India and work for India's progress. India is and should be rightfully given its share of homeland privilege. We as conscientious citizens are what we are today because we are raised in a strong value system and we owe our hard work for India's progress primarily. To be a global citizen is only a second commandment to her. I don't have to spend even a minute thinking otherwise. I silently nodded in admiration of her. Quite a few memorable moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Tribute to Dr.Suresh Ramaswamy