India Trip 2009 - Episode 4

The aging group

The primordial fear of man is the fear of death. So said Dr.Parthasarathi during his Bhagwad Gita lectures years ago. I witnessed the truth of this statement during my visits to few relatives who are septuagenarians. All my father's cousins and siblings are in this age group. The primordial fear was written all over their faces, explicit in all their daily activities including how they carried themselves about. Life is full of uncertainties while Death is certain and absolute. Why fear the certain then? We, the mankind, does things that are a wonder. Contradicting beliefs and practices.

Age is only a number. In India though, it is a reason to worship. The higher the number, the person deserves more respect irrespective what he is. The person would have led a really bad life, done everything wrong and would have gone astray. He would have simply lazied about his entire life and still lazies around. Such folks would survive only in India owing to joint family system. Why should he be sought for his blessings? Spending time in front of the idiot box watching one imbecile soap after the other!!

More unscientific and illogical practices that I don't want to write about are written as rules all over the wall. Our youth has to be outrageous in discouraging some of these dogmas. When I met few people, I felt glad that I don't have to interact with them on a daily basis. No other society would be as hypocritical as ours.

Stray thoughts come, stray thoughts go.....

I met my father's cousins many years after my Father had passed away. Everyone shared thoughts about my father with me. They are missing him more than me since they are living near our house and feel his absence in all family functions. Dad's loss was reminded so much that my mind strayed over the grief even after so many years.

One who did nothing, still does nothing much and enjoys; But,
One who sweat his blood is gone before the dawn.

Dad, you are a well written book but with the last few chapters left uncompleted. Those unwritten are the only chapters of happiness in your life. I only wish you were around to see the sunrise.

When the feeling of grief comes, it takes over you completely. We have to grieve. That's the only way to let it go. Grieve it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Ranjani Gayatri after MLV

Salem Sriram sticks to Sampradaya

Tribute to Dr.Suresh Ramaswamy